Monday, November 5, 2012

Jam of the Week: "Ride" by Lana Del Rey


I've never been so enthralled with a musician as I am with Lana Del Rey. Her music is cinematic, modern, and otherworldly all at the same time. I can't decide if I love her or just love to hate her. Regardless of the reason behind it, her music is fascinating. While it does get a little repetitive, and her vintage fashion doll "love-or-die" persona sets back the women's rights movement a decade or two, there's no denying that she's released a few jams.

In her latest effort, "Ride", Lana sticks to what she knows best: singing about a hard life she didn't actually experience. You see, Lana (whose real name is Elizabeth Grant) likes to pretend that she lived in 1960s America and traveled through the country looking for a man to complete her broke ass. In actuality, she spent her childhood on the Upper East Side and became an alcoholic at the ripe age of 14. I bet she was one of the glamorous alcoholics, too, not the whiny, trashy, or violent ones.

With lyrics such as "I'm tired of feeling like I'm fucking crazy," Lana knows just how to touch the souls of each of her 11 fans. "Ride" is classic Lana and, above all else, a jam (albeit a slow one at that.) If you're interested in just the song, use the video above. However, if you truly want to see what this cray bitch is all about, I suggest you watch the music video below. At 10 minutes, it's a bit long, but well worth it! You get to watch her whore herself out on a pinball machine. No, but really, it's artistic. I promise!

0 comments:

Post a Comment